The aims of the FFII WIPO work group are
- Organizing documentation on the following topics:
- Case for emerging countries: Explain the harm that patent (in general) enforcement produces to the economies of emerging countries. Enumerate and comment the arguments, the studies, and media articles pointing in that direction.
- Case against software and business methods patents: Organize the arguments on the harmfulness of software patents for the economy in general (not only for emerging countries).
- Illustrate the importance of software and business methods patents for the economic development: Emerging countries have a long experience of dealing with the harmfulness of drug patents. The importance of software and business methods patents is less evident and has been less discussed.
- WIPO: Explain the functioning of WIPO and its relavance in the geopolitical forces of petent enforcement.
- Treaties: Analyse what treaties say about patents, in particular TRIPS.
- Proposing actions:
- Find out how can diplomatic bodies of emerging countries, FFII and other NGOs can work together.
page revision: 0, last edited: 03 May 2009 13:37